Truly understanding what our patients go through in life drives the philosophy behind BCP Group and its partners. We provide innovative orthotic technology and one‐on‐one personal attention to our patients. Our team members are passionate about providing the highest level of care to patients across the country.
The Certified Orthotist (CO) designs, measures, fits, and adapts orthopedic braces and appliances for patients with disabling conditions. The CO collaborates with other medical professionals and is involved in clinical decision-making and patient education. The scope of practice for the CO includes, but is not limited to, the patient assessment, formulation and implementation of the treatment plan, and follow-up of the patient. The CO utilizes an Electronic Medical Record to document all clinical progress notes and maintains compliance with documentation requirements as outlined by governmental and payor regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
The individual functioning in this position has the following duties and responsibilities:
- Examine, interview, and measure patients to determine appliance needs and identify factors that affect appliance fit
- Fit, test, and evaluate devices on patients and make adjustments for proper fit, function, and comfort
- Instruct patients in the use and care of orthoses
- Design orthopedic devices according to physician prescriptions
- Update and document all interaction regarding the patient’s care
- Make/modify plaster casts of areas that will be fitted with orthoses for use in the device process
- Select materials and components to be used based on device design
- Confer with physicians to formulate specifications and prescriptions for orthopedic devices
- Repair, rebuild, and modify orthopedic appliances
- Construct and fabricate appliances or supervise others constructing the appliances
- May train and supervise support staff, such as orthopedic assistants, residents and technicians
- Maintain certification requirements by attending conferences and seminars
- Communicate with healthcare professionals regarding orthopedic appliances
- Research new ways to construct and use orthopedic devices
- Perform other duties as assigned
A Bachelor’s degree is recommended, not required. A certification by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics is required. This position reports to the Director of Operations or the Market Leader in the applicable market. Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential to this position. Qualified candidates must be detail oriented and demonstrate a professional attitude and appearance and possess strong organizational skills. The appropriate candidate for this position must demonstrate a stable work history.